In Program Notes on July 31, 2009 at 9:09 pm
My three works from the last several years; “Fireworks”, “Water Bubbling”, and “Planetarium”, were composed upon inspiration of the image of chaotically changing cluster sound.
The cell in the oboe at the beginning of “Planetarium” triggers the tone system used throughout the whole piece.
The piece has two basic notes; sustained B flat and F sharp, which appear alternately and divide the piece into sections with two different moods.
In each section, the sound texture varies like kaleidoscope with lights and shadows.
This work is the 2nd version of “Planetarium”.
The first version was for the right hand on the piano, and was awarded the “1ª Mención de Honor” at the First International Composers Competition for Piano Work “Bell’Arte Europa” 2005 (Spain).
The second version for the wind orchestra was commissioned by Suigaku (JSCM), and was first performed by Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra.
The excerpt from the performance [3:00] mp3 ♫Just a moment
In Recordings on July 1, 2009 at 10:26 am
"Planetarium" for wind orchestra [KOCD-4506]
Exhibition of Contemporary Music 2007
Works for Brass IV
1. March "Glory of Catalonia" / Michio Mamiya
2. Fu-Mon / Hiroshi Hoshina
Kodaira Third Junior High School Wind Ensemble / Cond: Matsuo Nakamura
3. Fanfare I / Kazuhiro Morita
4. March-April-May / Masao Yabe
5. Hymn to the Sun: With the Beat of Mother Earth / Satoshi Yagisawa
Inagakuen Wind Orchestra / Cond: Tomoki Ubata
6. from "La Suite Excentrique" I, II, IV / Masamicz Amano
Saitama Sakae High School Wind Orchestra / Cond: Minoru Ohtaki
7. "Hana-Matsuri" for Band / Kiyoshige Koyama
8. Japanese Folk-Song Suite, Warabe-uta I, II, III / Bin Kaneda
Toke Civic Wind Orchestra / Cond: Hiroyuki Kayo
9. "Hō-ō" ―Jin’ai chō-fu for Wind Ensemble / Eiji Suzuki
10. from Taketori Monogatari / Akira Miyoshi / Masamicz Amano
Kawagoe Sohwa Wind Ensemble / Cond: Masato Sato
1. Planetarium for Wind Orchestra / Satoru Ikeda
2. Parataxis II for Wind Orchestra / Tatsuya Kawasoi
3. Con Brio / Barnaby Hollington
Tokyo Kosei Wind Orchestra / Cond: Keiko Kobayashi
Recorded live at the concert of works for brass, held on March 24 at Suntory Hall, Tokyo.